Monday, July 12, 2010

Finding the Motivation for Exercise

In high school, I played sports/danced and was a generally super active teenager. Away at college, I went to the school's gym regularly and enjoyed group fitness classes with friends.

Here's where it goes down hill:

In grad school (living back home), I couldn't find the time to get to the gym and as a result I began a love/hate relationship with exercise. After graduating this May, I've found myself with ample time to do anything I want, but NO motivation to exercise. Over the past few months I've swam in my neighbor's pool, gone on random bike rides and runs.... but I just can't seem to get into an exercise routine. I also pay $20 a month for my local gym; however, I almost NEVER go.

I blame my lack of motivation on not having a set schedule...

My typical week:
  • babysit twice per week
  • beach once a week
  • hang out with friends 3 or 4 evenings a week
  • read/watch tv/movies
As you can read, I've been having a nice little break from real life for about two months now and I LOVE IT. The only thing I'm complaining about is the lack of exercise!

I really want to join some kind of organized sport or group fitness class (they don't have them at my gym). I can't find any organized rec. sports in my area though.

I know, I know... I'm making a lot of excuses.

My plan:
  1. Get a job to have a set schedule
  2. Join a new gym- one with a pool and group fitness classes
  3. Begin to feel responsible for my body and my health- apart from just eating right!
A friend of mine vouched that as soon as she found a job and began with a set schedule, she got into a great routine of going to the gym right after work...AND she actually enjoys it. She says that after sitting all day in her office, she can't wait to get up and move her body at the gym. While I won't be sitting all day as a speech therapist, I hope I find a good routine as she has.

How do you find the motivation for exercise?

No comments:

Post a Comment