Today, I woke up feeling excited for the new day and new challenge I had set for myself.
For breakfast, I ate a banana with peanut butter- so delicious. Prior to this I made myself anEnergizing Vitamins & Minerals Drink:
1/2 scoop Amazing Meal
1 tbsp lemon juice
about 8 oz water
I put all the ingredients in a jar (with a lid) and shook them up! It's not the best tasting thing, but I enjoy it! Personally, I like to supplement my diet with extra vitamins and minerals because there are days I just know I'm not getting enough nutrients. I like the extra security of knowing that my body is getting what it needs. I anticipate doing less of this as I become more and more knowledgeable about different vitamins and minerals in the vegan lifestyle.
Calcium is the hardest thing for me! Anyone have any good suggestions on getting enough calcium with a vegan diet?
Detox Lunch was a huge salad with everything I could find in my kitchen:
- swiss chard
- orange bell pepper
Topped with OSG's Better than Bottled Balsamic Vinaigrette (with only 1 tbsp maple syrup instead of 2)
Look how delicious:
- green beans and hummus. (okay, okay I also ate 2 tortilla chips - ahh breaking detox rules already)
- Oven Roasted Tomatoes
Simple Quinoa and Sweet Potato Salad (adapted from yumsugar):
1/2 cup dry quinoa
1/2 cup vegetable stock
1/2 cup water
3 tiny sweet potatoes (about 1 cup), peeled and diced
1 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
Pinch of cayenne pepper (1/16 tsp)
1 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Place the quinoa, vegetable stock, and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the liquid is completely absorbed.
- Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
- Cover the diced sweet potatoes with 1/2 tbsp of olive oil, pepper, salt, and cayenne. Transfer to a baking pan and roast until crispy.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the lemon juice and 1/2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Season with the salt and pepper. Stir in the diced sweet potatoes and the quinoa and serve.
This super simple recipe turned out delicious! I love when food tastes natural and not too spiced up.